In 1940 we started out as part of Atco Volunteer Fire Company with Buck Benton as our first "Commander" of the ambulance unit. We acquired an ambulance that was housed within the fire hall on Atco Avenue. . We covered our township along with Winslow, Chesilhurst and parts of Berlin. We were staffed by volunteer "first-aiders" who listened for the siren and stopped at Annings 5 & 10 to find out where the call was. Later as we grew, we bought a second ambulance as our call volume increased. Other towns started their own ambulance squads, and training increased from four to six hours, to hundreds of hours to keep up with current medical needs.
Today, 71 years later, we have changed our name and incorporated as Waterford Township EMS, still covering emergency assignments for our community, staffed by both paid and volunteer EMTs from the community. Our call volume is up to 1,300 calls for service a year, covering our community as well as back up to our surrounding communities. Our "Chief" Betty Anne Gardner is the seventh Chief for our organization. Our new location housing our three ambulances is 192 "A" Avenue, at the corner of Route 30. We are currently in the process of renovating and updating our headquarters to provide a state of the art facility not only for our members, but also for the community. With this, we will be better equipped to provided emergency services to the community, as well as educational programs for the public. As always, donations are welcome to aid us in being able to provide these quality services to those who request them. Even though we are now alerted for our emergency assignments by radios and pagers, instead of a siren, the pride is still the same. We are very proud of our members and the time they dedicate to help others in need.